Friday, March 19, 2010

Habit vs. Variety

I am a creature of habit.  I have eaten a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast (pretty much daily) for the last 10 years.  With the exception of the fast food phase I had gotten myself into where I'd stop by McDonald's on my way to work (Thank you for the extra 20 pounds around my mid section McD's).  Let's just say that phase lasted alot longer than I care to admit. 

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE breakfast food.  But bagels are so easy, I keep a package (whole wheat) at work and a container of whipped cream cheese in the fridge.  My point is, every diet plan I have ever followed has always made a point to say mix it up.  Recently I've added Mug Scrambles to my week - and I LOVE them, but bagels are so quick and easy - no mixing and packing daily, so it is a fail-safe.

Here is what I like about habitual meal planning.  I know what I am eating. I know the calories, I love it enough to eat it daily, and it's safe.  By safe, I mean, I feel full and satisfied, it's quick and easy and I don't find my self at the vending machines.

With this said, I have found two lunches that I like equally as well.  Before food journaling, I would eat left overs from the night before.  Tasty and quick and easy lunch packing - but also packed with calories and fat and my nemesis - sodium. 

If I don't get bored with my breakfast and lunch, and they are packed with raw fruits, veggies and healthy options - what am I hurting?  What do you think? Are you a habitual eater?

Now that I've fixed Monday - Friday (so I also know how many calories my dinner meals need to stick to) ...now to tackle those dreaded weekends.

TZ Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment