Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
(45 Min Prep, 25 Min Cooking)
From One For the Table
5 Celery stalks
1 Red Onion
2 cloves of Garlic
2 Cups Green Peas (Option to add a little St. Patrick’s Day Green to the scene)
4 Tablespoons Butter or Soy Margarine
3 Cups of Milk or Soy Milk
2 packages Meatless Ground (I prefer Yves Vegan Cuisine Meatless Taco Stuffers, but you can use any soy or corn based products available in the deli section of most grocery stores)
2 Cups of Red Wine
2 Cups of Olive Oil
Pinch of Garlic Salt
Pinch of Cinnamon
(1) Bring a large pot of water to boil. Wash and peel your potatoes. Add potatoes with a little salt to the boiling water. Boil 20-30 minutes.
(2) Chop carrots and sauté in a frying pan on medium heat with a little olive oil.
(3) Add chopped celery, onion and garlic to your carrots, adding a little more olive oil and salt and pepper, when carrots are just beginning to brown.
(4) Add the faux meat and bring the heat up a little. Most faux meats can be really dry, so add a touch more olive oil, and red wine. Add salt/pepper/garlic salt as you see fit. Judiciously add a pinch of cinnamon. Cook for ten minutes, making sure that it doesn't dry out.
(5) Drain potatoes in a strainer then replace them in the pot. Add about 3 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons of butter. Mash until desired level of lumpiness.
(6) Melt 1 tablespoon of butter
(7) Heat oven to 350°F to warm up. Using a Pyrex/casserole dish, make thin layer of the meat mix, followed by potatoes, and repeat until you run out. Brush melted butter over the top layer.
(8) Stick the dish in the oven for about 15/20 minutes, until the top layer of potatoes is slightly browned and crispy.